Friday, June 22, 2007

Etsy.com - A Fees-Lite Family of Creative Folks

In my continuing efforts to escape the ravages of Cubicleism, I turned to my innate creativuty to magically create additional income while enjoying an artistic outlet. First, I naturally turned to eBay, where I still (barely) maintain a shop as Wolf Lodge Enterprises. Holy FeeCharger, BatGuy! As sales slowed to a, well, STOP, I find myself covering monthly charges out of pocket.



Last Fall I discovered http://www.etsy.com/, which provides an exquisitely affordable marketplace for handmade items only. With an ever-growing assortment of crafts & arts of varying styles & values, it quickly becomes addictive. You have GOT to check out the Time Machine!!!



My shop is at http://www.wolflodge.etsy.com/, where I offer Native American chokers built by my Ojibwe daughter-in-law as well as my own Tribal versions of hatbands, chokers, armbands, & boot chokers. A few of my oil paintings live there to color up the place.



The real value of Etsy is in the community of sellers who offer up their remarkable wares & a never-ending stream of information, guidancce, & assistance thru the Forums & Chat Rooms. For example, I read thru a 34-page (& counting) thread on identification of gemstones, manmade & natural. Information overload? You bet! And worth every word.



Some of my favorite Etsy sellers are linked at right. I admire their fresh, funny, & often irreverent views on the world as expressed thru their art. I can only hope that my art will move someone as well.



I also created my own website at http://www.wolflodgetx.com/ which is a work in progress as I learn & grow. My partner is my Beloved wife of 35 years, who shares with me a passion for Native American art & life, so our powwow visits are chronicled there as well. Please check out my favorite Etsyans, & let the cool waters of creativity buoy you up, & raise your spirits, bringing you closer to The Creator. (And while you're up there, could you put in a good word for the Ol' Wolf?)

No comments: