Thursday, June 14, 2007

One More Earthtrip Around the Sun

The Big Blue Marble has spun completely thru its' orbit since I started this new work assignment last March. Just had my annual review ( only 2 weeks late this year - woo-hoo!!) & it was relatively painless compared to the chew-him-up & hit-the-spitoon session I had last year. My new boss is very kind to me & does a bang-up job despite it being her first command.



She was bothered by my inherent lack of positive outlook regarding my future. To sum it all up, my long term (10 years) goal is basically "Cremated & Forgotten". Don't get me wrong, I know I have family that will miss me: however the workplace will not. So what? Who cares if I'm "Tits-Up" instead of "Guns Up!?



My previous boss in this job was catastrophically inept. Shortly after I moved over by the windows here our product underwent a major header-to-footer remodel. Some of the changes were great - most were so badly mishandled that my Director plans to use the whole debacle as a case study on how NOT to go to market, when he retires soon to teach at the University level.



Within a few months of my move, all my major accounts were stripped away & given to co-workers who were already overloaded with business. Now a year later I still have not been told the real reason why, so I must conclude that it was performance-based. Despite winning a sales award my first month in position, I must characterize the last 14 months as a failure which I have been unable to overcome. I have faced great adversity in the workplace over the years & traditionally clawed my way back to the top. Not this time - my clawing days are over.



For several years I have tried my best to transition out of Sales, to no avail. Amazing what few opportunities there are for 50+'ers with no skills! That loud Baby BOOM was me hitting the bottom sans bounce! So, here I sit. Now we have a new compensation plan which is tied solely to percentage of goal attainment. Payout is zero unless you achieve 60% of goal: in October, that increases to 80%. Like I needed more stress, right?



MSN had a recent article relating to the decrease in life expectancy caused by chronic stress. Put 2 & 2 together, you get Bye-Bye!! So, I will spend the time I have trying to make my Beloved Darlin' of 35 years as happy as I can. A legacy would be too much to ask...



No comments: